ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Bring back TSM Administrator's Guide

2015-12-15 17:01:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Bring back TSM Administrator's Guide
From: Clare Byrne <byrnec AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 14:59:19 -0700
Please be assured that we in IBM development are listening and are
discussing future actions regarding the Administrator's Guide content
since the feedback about the 7.1.3 release that did not include that book.
I gave some information in a response to that earlier feedback:
http://www.mail-archive.com/adsm-l AT vm.marist DOT edu/msg99286.html

We are working on a plan to publish a solution guide for the disk-to-tape
architecture next. This should fill in some gaps left by the removal of
the Administrator's Guide. Timing of the publication is yet to be
determined.

We are also discussing how to fill the information needs for those who
will not be using one of the four documented architectures. We already
point to the 7.1.1 guides from newer releases but we realize this is not
ideal. Possible actions include creating additional, supplemental
information outside of the solution guides, similar to what we have done
for the information about NDMP (
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.4/srv.admin/r_ndmp.html
).

What are the most important subjects from the old Administrator's Guide
for us to consider? Knowing more specifics about your priorities would be
very helpful to us for setting our priorities and plans. Web traffic for
the content on IBM Knowledge Center gives us some information but not a
complete picture of needs.

Meanwhile, to make the 7.1.1 Administrator's Guide PDFs easier to find and
download, today we added the five English PDFs to the Tivoli Storage
Manager wiki. Find the links to them on this page:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager/page/Version%207.1.1%20PDF%20files%20of%20IBM%20Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager%20documentation

The 7.1.1 Administrator's Guide PDFs are also still available in the
711_411_PDFs.zip file that you can find at
ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/products/TSM/current/
The available translations are in the 711_411_PDFs_nl.zip file in the same
directory. All this content (English and other languages) remains
available online in IBM Knowledge Center at
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.1/com.ibm.itsm.srv.common.doc/t_server_main.html

PDFs for previous releases, including several unsupported levels, are also
still available. Start on this page:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager/page/PDF%20documentation

(Note: This wiki was unavailable for several days, starting on 11
December. While the wiki is available again, restoration of some pages and
links is still in progress. Unfortunately you might find some links that
don't work, especially for the unsupported releases. I don't know the
projected date for completion.)

Clare Byrne
Information Development for IBM Spectrum Protect
Tucson, AZ  US