ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] AW: Bring back TSM Administrator's Guide

2015-12-12 05:43:08
Subject: [ADSM-L] AW: Bring back TSM Administrator's Guide
From: Michael Malitz <michael.malitz AT MM-IT DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 11:41:11 +0100
Agree Agree Agree!!!

Michael Malitz

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] Im Auftrag von
Roger Deschner
Gesendet: Samstag, 12. Dezember 2015 02:39
An: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Betreff: Bring back TSM Administrator's Guide

A great book is gone. The TSM Administrator's Guide has been obsoleted as of
v7.1.3. Its priceless collection of how-to information has been scattered to
the winds, which basically means it is lost. A pity, because this book had
been a model of complete, well-organized, documentation.

The "Solution Guides" are suitable only for planning a new TSM installation,
and do not address existing TSM sites. Furthermore, they are much too
narrow, and do not cover real-world existing TSM customers.
For instance, we use a blended disk and tape solution (D2D2D2T) to create a
good working compromise between faster restore and storage cost.

Following links to topics in the online Information Center is a haphazard
process at best, which is never repeatable. There is no Index or Table of
Contents for the online doc - so you cannot even see what information is
there. Unless you actually log in, there is no way to even leave a "trail of
breadcrumbs". Browser bookmarks are useless here, due to IBM's habit of
changing URLs frequently. This is an extremely inefficient use of my time in
finding out how to do something in TSM.

Search is not an acceptable replacement for good organization. Search is
necessary, but it cannot stand alone.

Building a "collection" is not an answer to this requirement. It still lacks
a coherent Index or Table of Contents, so once my collection gets sizeable,
it is also unuseable. And with each successive version, I will be required
to rebuild my collection from scratch all over again.

Despite the fact that it had become fairly large, I humbly ask that the
Administrator's Guide be published again, as a single PDF, in v7.1.4.

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====