ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM troubles

2015-12-10 10:43:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM troubles
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 16:41:19 +0100
On Thursday 10 December 2015 07:37:38 you wrote:
> Hello Stef,
>
> Since your active log is filling, do you have the SAN capacity to increase
> it?  We use the maximum active log size of 512GB, which is overkill for
> our intake but might be exactly what you need.  I'd also think that with
> that much intake, a few more cores wouldn't hurt.  There's a lot of
> processing involved with large dedup workloads and we typically use all 10
> of our allocated Power 8 cores just doing server-side dedupe.
The active log is 128 GB. I don't want it to raise to 512 GB, recovering 128
GB takes 4 hours, so recovering 512 GB takes 16 hours !

Active log, archive log and database are all stored on SVC + FlashSystem 840.

We noticed that the 6 Power7 cores are 100% used so we switched to client
dedup to distribute the load.
In the meantime, we lowered the versions, reclamation and dedupe identify
processes so the load is less on the TSM server.
We are also redirecting the larges backups to tape to take some of the load of
the disks.

Stef