ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Question about replication 7.1.3.100

2015-11-16 10:19:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Question about replication 7.1.3.100
From: Ron Delaware <ron.delaware AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 07:17:46 -0800
Robert,

I am still pretty much old school when it comes to managing structured vs unstructured data, in that you keep them separate. But with Spectrum Protect (SP) 7.1.3 we need to start thinking differently.  In my experience with the product so far, I doesn't seem to make a difference since everything stays in the container. SP containers determines what gets deduped and what doesn't as it performs in-line deduplication, it does away with those time consuming tasks of Reclamation and migration.
I have multiple customers that are using a single container for all of there data and I have not experienced any problems with backups or restores. I have not read anything that states you should separate the two.

This is my opinion based on my experience with the product, and may not be the official best practice of IBM.

Best Regards,

email:
ron.delaware AT us.ibm DOT com