ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Migrating VME from vCenter5 to vCenter6

2015-10-15 11:15:37
Subject: [ADSM-L] Migrating VME from vCenter5 to vCenter6
From: David Ehresman <david.ehresman AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:05:52 +0000
I have TSM for VE running in a vCenter5 environment.  It was setup using one of
the early version GUIs to setup the VME environment. As such, I have a vCenter
node (which doesn't actually appear to do anything), a data center node (which
owns all the actual backups), a VMCLI node, and several data mover nodes.  The
dsm.opt files on the data movers contain VMChost lines that point to the actual
VMware vcenter host.  The TSM backup schedules were generated by the GUI but
have been manually edited since then.  They have VMHOST options that specify to
backup all the VMs on a particular VMware host.

Our VMware team will be moving to vCenter6 soon.  The vCenter will have a new
name but the data center and cluster names will be the same on vCenter6 as they
are on vCenter5.  All of the VMware hosts will be moved from VC5 to VC6 during
one maintenance period.  So what changes will I have to make to my TSMVE
environment to continue to backup the VMs?

I'm sure I will have to update the VMChost options in each of the data mover's
dsm.opt file. I can define a new vcenter node and define the proxies to match
my current vcenter node (but again I don't understand what purpose this
serves.) The schedules point to the data center node and the Vmhosts and those
will not change.  Is there anything else that needs changing?

And of course, the BIG question.  Will these changes force a new FULL or will
the incrementals just continue.

For what it's worth, my VME version is 7.1.3 and my TSM server is version
7.1.1.300 running on AIX 7.1.

David Ehresman
University of Louisville