ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 7.1.3 and Directory-container storage pools

2015-09-24 09:23:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 7.1.3 and Directory-container storage pools
From: "Ryder, Michael S" <michael_s.ryder AT ROCHE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 09:18:08 -0400
Thank you Deirdre

I'm providing this excerpt from FAQ below -- please tell me this is going
to be streamlined in the future?  (If so, how much longer?)

This is a LOT of data movement in order to simply move "sideways" to
another storage pool on the same server.  I'm fortunate to have a secondary
server I can do this with, but this is going to stink for those without.
At first glance, I'm not sure I want to take the trouble to do this.

*Q6. How can I store existing data to a directory-container pool by using
replication? Are there other techniques?*
The only methods that you can use to store data in a directory-container
pool are:

   - Client store operations such as backup, archive, and space management.
      - Node Replication from another server.

You can use node replication to move data from one storage pool to another
on the same machine, but you must replicate the data to another server to
do this. For example, if you have a node, N1, on a server, S1, in a storage
pool, P1, and you want to move it to a directory-container storage pool,
P2, you must complete the following steps:

   1. Replicate all the data for node N1 to server S2.
      2. Rename node N1 to N1.X.
      3. Replicate the node to server S1 from server S2.
      4. Change the management class and the copy group destinations, or
      both, in the policy on server S1 to ensure that the data from
server S2 is
      stored the directory-container storage pool, P2.

When all the data from node N1 is stored on server S1, you can delete the
file spaces for node N1 on servers S1 and S2, remove node N1.X from server
S1, and remove node N1 from server S2. To switch replication directions,
you must use the REMOVE REPLNODE command after the first replication (from
S1 to S2) on both servers and then re-enable replication on server S2 to
server S1. You cannot use the node replication on a single file space
within a node. The entire node must be replicated.

Best regards,

Mike <http://rbbuswiki.bbg.roche.com/wiki/ryderm_page:start>, x7942
RMD IT Client Services <http://rmsit.dia.roche.com/Pages/default.aspx>

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 7:09 AM, Deirdre O'Callaghan <DEIRDREC AT ie.ibm DOT
com>