ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM for VE 7.1.2.0 data vs meta question

2015-09-18 10:08:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM for VE 7.1.2.0 data vs meta question
From: Michael Prix <mp AT RS6000.DARKTECH DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 15:58:20 +0200
Steve,

if it's really a pool on a VTL, then there are no major implications for
you.
The reason the metadata should stay on disk is that the metadata is
needed for CBT to detect the blocks needed to be backed up and to get
the right blocks in case of a poit-in-time restore. If these data is on
tape, a VM-backup would run for days.
If, in your case, the data is on a VTL-tape, it will generate tapemounts
on the VTL and thus be slower that a diskpool, but these migrated
metadata will expire with the time so the impact will ease.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Michael Prix