ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 7.1.3 and Directory-container storage pools

2015-09-16 09:26:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 7.1.3 and Directory-container storage pools
From: Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT SEGROCERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 13:23:26 +0000
I may be wrong but from reading the 7.1.3 doco new container approach combined
with the inline dedup eliminate the need for some of these processes. Also,
where traditionally a "copy" storage pool was used they now refer to it as a
"protect" storage pool which has the ability to be replicated to another
"onsite" or "offsite" container storage pool.

Remember that with deduplicated data many of the processes you mentioned
required that the data be rehydrated to be performed. An added benefit is if in
fact these processes are no longer required it will free up system resources
and as a result lower storage costs and increase scalability.

Fortunately, there are some good resources for additional information:
IBM you tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGkjRNkO0AQNyQbWhS1tTzw
IBM knowledge center for 7.1.3:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.3/tsm/welcome.html

I will be installing it on two systems today to begin testing, hopefully I'll
be able to comment more soon......

-Rick Adamson