ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SKIPSYSTEMEXCLUDE test flag - what's the worst that could happen?

2015-09-02 14:01:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SKIPSYSTEMEXCLUDE test flag - what's the worst that could happen?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 13:59:40 -0400
Hi Neil,

We have seen certain user situations where terribly slow enumeration of VSS
writer metadata can cause the TSM client on Windows to take a long time to
start up, e.g., the time it takes for you to see the "tsm>" prompt after
typing "dsmc". This is a situation that should be properly sorted at the OS
level (something going haywire in the OS), but in the mean time, if you
need to do a file restore, or maybe a backup of a user file (not operating
system related), then the test flag bypasses this enumeration and thus
avoids the delay.

It is inadvisable to include it in the dsm.opt file in normal practice, so
I would suggest you not use it.

If you think this Windows system is subject to the "slow VSS writer
metadata enumeration" issue, you can validate that by running the
diskshadow utility's "list writers detailed" command. If the slow
enumeration issue exists, you will see this command take a very long time
to return information, in which case it should be addressed by the Windows
system administrators. On the other hand, if diskshadow returns the data
quickly, but you still see slow TSM client startup, then you should open a
ticket with IBM support, and we'll see what is going on.

Best regards,

- Andy

Andrew Raibeck | Tivoli Storage Manager Level 3 Technical Lead |
storman AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager links:
Product support:
http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

Online documentation:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7/welcome
Product Wiki:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2015-09-01
12:13:03: