ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] help with designing a backup system for Teradata

2015-07-30 13:02:31
Subject: [ADSM-L] help with designing a backup system for Teradata
From: "Rhodes, Richard L." <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 17:00:32 +0000
We purchased a Teredata database system.
It currently is in test/dev stage with little data.
We don't really know the ultimate backup requirements.
To get things started we setup a simple backup system:

   Teradata
    -> to Bar server (Win) with TSM interface sftw
    -> to TSM server (AIX)
    -> to filepool on DataDomain (getting ~5x dedup)

   From the Bar server to TSM server is a standard 1GB ethernet.

Now we need to scale up/out!

The consultants are saying we will need to backup 30TB in a 6hr window,
but maybe has high as 50TB in 6hr.
That is (roughly):
         30TB in 6hr = 1,400 MB/sec
         50TB in 6hr = 2,300 MB/sec

So we need to design a TSM backup system to support this.

My thoughts:

1) Put a storage agent on the Bar server (Win server)
     and feed a VTL via 4x8gb san connections via a bunch of virtual tape.

2) Put the TSM server directly on the Bar server for just
     local tape and still feed a VTL as above.
     No library sharing.

3) I'd really like to not use tape (even virtual tape),
     but I can't think of any way to feed file devices
     with that throughput.

I'd appreciate any thought/comments anyone might have!

Thanks

Rick

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and
confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the
document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.