ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ANR2033E Command failed - lock conflict

2015-07-07 20:52:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ANR2033E Command failed - lock conflict
From: Ron Delaware <ron.delaware AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 17:50:25 -0700
Grant,

To tackle your problem of multiple backups at the same time you can carve up your NAS server (as long as you are using volumes and directories and NOT volumes and Trees) using virtualmountpoint

Using the virtualmountpoint option to identify a directory within a file system provides a direct path to the files you want to back up, saving processing time. It is more efficient to define a virtual mount point within a file system than it is to define that file system using the domain option, and then to use the exclude option in your include-exclude options list to exclude the files that you do not want to back up.

Use the virtualmountpoint option to define virtual mount points for multiple file systems, for local and remote file systems, and to define more than one virtual mount point within the same file system. Virtual mount points cannot be used in a file system handled by automounter.

You can use the virtualmountpoint option to back up unsupported file systems, with certain limitations.

After you define a virtual mount point, you can specify the path and directory name with the domain option in either the default client options file or on the incremental command to include it for incremental backup services. When you perform a backup or archive using the virtualmountpoint option, the query filespace command lists the virtual mount point in its response along with other file systems. Generally, directories that you define as virtual mount points are treated as actual file systems and require that the virtualmountpoint option is specified in the dsm.sys file to restore or retrieve the data.

After the creation of your virtualmountpoints, you would create a NAS datamover for each virtualmountpoint, and each NAS Datamover would be assigned to a schedule (could be the same schedule or separate schedules). This would allow you to have multiple backups of your NAS Server running at the same time.  I have not used this configuration with the NAS Appliance controlling the data storage pools, but this works fine when TSM is setup to control the data (Normally called a 3-way setup). This allows the NAS data to be treated that same as any other data that TSM manages, sending it to disk storage pools, tape storage pools, making copies for offsite requirements and such.

Best Regards,

email:
ron.delaware AT us.ibm DOT com