ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Operations Center processor requirements

2015-06-09 11:13:26
Subject: [ADSM-L] Operations Center processor requirements
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 15:12:20 +0000
We recently had an IBM presentation on the future of TSM. The presenter told us
that Operations Center was going to change our minds about needing a third
party management facility for TSM (we currently use TSMManager). My management
has asked me to check on the requirements for installing Operations Center. I
found an IBM tool for estimating Operations Center resource requirements at:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21641684&aid=1

I requested estimates for a configuration with Operations Center on a separate
server. The Operations Center host is predicted to need a tenth of a processor
core. Each TSM instance is predicted to need at least one processor core to
support the Operations Center. The estimate for the hub instance sometimes
reaches 1.1 cores, depending on the estimates of administrator activity levels.

We have three production TSM server instances (one of them a dedicated library
manager) split across two z10 systems with two IFL's each. The predictions from
the IBM tool imply that interaction with the Operations Center will consume all
of the processor capacity on the system with the library manager and half of
the processor capacity on the other system.

Are the estimates from the IBM tool reasonably accurate?

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University
The information contained in this transmission contains privileged and
confidential information. It is intended only for the use of the person named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

CAUTION: Intended recipients should NOT use email communication for emergent or
urgent health care matters.