ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Documenting TSM

2015-05-27 09:19:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Documenting TSM
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 06:13:54 -0700
I find it's good to split documents into three different types -
configuration (long-term, can be complex), operations (daily, should be
simple), and DR (infrequent, but still should be simple). All of our
documents live in a Twiki wiki.

On the configuration side, I try not to duplicate the vendor (IBM, library
vendor) docs too much, but will fill in holes where they're inadequate, and
definitely will document local customizations and conventions. I might not
document exact steps or commands for these, though, as these documents. I
try to split out the TSM docs from the library docs.

On the operations side, I've found it's good to be as explicit and
procedural as possible. Daily tasks and alerts both come through as
tickets, with a link to the specific step-by-step procedure needed. The
goal is for someone without a deep knowledge of TSM to be able to
accomplish these tasks. As needed, I might combine the software and
hardware steps here, for the sake of simplicity.

Like-wise, our DR docs are painfully explicit. In an emergency, you don't
want to be thinking too hard, as you'll be scrambling and stressed even if
everything is going right.

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 08:45:23AM +0300, madunix AT gmail DOT com wrote:
> Starting to document the Installing/Implementing TSM7.1 environment and I'm
> wondering what type of information and the amount detail others are putting
> into their docs?  How are you documented TSM?  Security? Database?
> Scripts?  Installation steps? troubleshooting?installing clients? ...etc.
>
> Does anyone have a good documentation example  day-to-day
> operation/administration?
>
> -mad

-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354