ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] tsm and dedup hardware or software or both

2015-05-14 09:01:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] tsm and dedup hardware or software or both
From: "Ryder, Michael S" <michael_s.ryder AT ROCHE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 08:59:23 -0400
Hi Tim

We use native TSM deduplication (software).

It's generally accepted that you perform one or the other and not both.
This is because additional deduplication results in an additional latency
and often results in zero or negligible improvements.  Deduplication
functions as a result of finding repetitive patterns, and the result are
blocks with little repetition.  Performing deduplication against disk or
files that is already deduplicated (and now have few repeating patterns) is
a waste of time and resources.

Best regards,

Mike Ryder
RMD IT Client Services