ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Best practices on filesystem for DB and ACTLOG on RHEL7

2015-03-23 08:42:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Best practices on filesystem for DB and ACTLOG on RHEL7
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 05:40:44 -0700
SSDs should work well for the DB and active log. As for the filesystem,
you'll want to use ext4. I don't know that IBM has documented filesystem
restrictions for DB2 wrt TSM, but certainly for standalone DB2 they
recommend only ext2/3 (and presumably now ext4) and reiserfs due to their
direct I/O implementations:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEPGG_9.7.0/com.ibm.db2.luw.admin.dbobj.doc/doc/c0051304.html

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 09:04:08PM +0000, Robert Lejtorp wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm about to install a new TSM 7.1.1 server on RHEL7 and would like to have
> some input on what file system to use, and if I should consider any special
> options.
>
> My first concerns is about the volumes where I intend place the DB and the
> actlog.
> We have an IBM x3650 M4 and five 400 GB SSD-drives (SATA-connector) in an
> hw-RAID5 setup to be used by TSM-DB and the actlog.
> The OS, arch-log and some space to be used for meta-data from TSM4VE backups
> is located on another hw-RAID5 of five SAS-volumes.
>
> Default file system in RHEL7 is now xfs, and my question is if I should stick
> to what RedHat suggests or if I should go for EXT4 for some reason.
> Are there any special concerns to keep in mind for performance (like
> allocation group size and stripe units on xfs) or will "standard" do the work
> equally good ?
>
> The blueprint for TSM server on Linux_x86 specifies ext4, but it's for TSM7.1
> and RHEL6.4
>
> Best regards
> Robert Lejtorp
> Compose IT