ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Miscalculation of Estimated Capacity for DEVCLASS=FILE

2015-03-16 03:31:06
Subject: [ADSM-L] Miscalculation of Estimated Capacity for DEVCLASS=FILE
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 02:29:46 -0500
I just had a TSM server (v6.3.5 on AIX) grind to a halt because all
directories of a FILE devclass had become full. However, the Q STGPOOL
command showed it only 83% full. I have followed all the rules about
each directory being a separate filesystem that contains nothing else,
and not overestimating MAXSCRATCH. There is only one storage pool in
this devclass. In fact, changing the MAXSCRATCH value does not change
Estimated Capacity, despite what the manuals say.

The Q DIRSPACE and Unix df commands both show the same true status.

This situation is making setting migration and reclamation thresholds
to be difficult.

So, what's going wrong here? How can I make the Estimated Capacity of a
FILE storage pool match reality?

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====