ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Linux permissions not restored

2015-03-12 10:44:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Linux permissions not restored
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:40:35 -0400
We just went through this same issue on a Linux box.  From the book:

According to the TSM 7.1.1 Backup-Archives client manual:

If only the following attributes change, the attributes are updated on the
Tivoli
Storage Manager server, but the file is not backed up:
– File owner
– File permissions
– Inode
– Group ID
– Change time (ctime) attribute. See the *updatectime *option for details.
– Icon location (Mac OS X only)
– Type or creator (Mac OS X only)

That tells me that there's no way to use TSM to restore the file ownerships
and permissions on a Linux system.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Loon, EJ van (ITOPT3) - KLM <
Eric-van.Loon AT klm DOT com> wrote:

> Hi guys!
> Yesterday someone accidentally changed permissions on one of our Lotus
> Notes servers. A new backup was made yesterday evening, but we cannot
> restore the file with the old permissions. The client shows only one active
> file in TSM (backup date 05/17/2013) and when this one is restored the
> permissions are the same as today.
> The file looked like this the day before yesterday:
> -r-sr-xr-x 1 root bin 9092 Sep 16 2011
> /app/LOTUSDOMINO/groupware/bin/slg14gpw/lotus/notes/85030/linux/bindsock
> This is the file after the restore:
> -r-xr-xr-x 1 slg12gpw dominoadm 9092 Sep 16 2011
> /app/LOTUSDOMINO/groupware/bin/slg12gpw/lotus/notes/85030/linux/bindsock
> Why isn't it possible to restore the right permissions, even with the
> pitdate parameter? And why do I only see one file in TSM? I would expect
> two (one with the old permissions and one with the new)...
> Thanks for any help in advance!
> Kind regards,
> Eric van Loon
> AF/KLM Storage Engineering
> For information, services and offers, please visit our web site:
> http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain
> confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If
> you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or
> any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other
> action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may
> be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the
> sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.
>
> Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its
> employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission
> of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
> Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch
> Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered
> number 33014286

*Zoltan Forray*
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator
Xymon Monitor Administrator