ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Increase performance with SSD disls

2015-03-12 10:19:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Increase performance with SSD disls
From: Henrik Ahlgren <pablo AT SEESTIETO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 16:17:55 +0200
On Tue, Mar 10, 2015, at 03:52 PM, Matthew McGeary wrote:
> We use SSD arrays for both our database
> and our active log.  That said, unless you are using TSM deduplication
> or node replication, SSD disks should not be required for good server
> performance.
> Standard 15K SAS drives are more than sufficient for regular server
> operations when dedup and replication are not used.

If you cannot have both on solid state, put the logs on rotating rust,
it's mostly sequential I/O and works fine. Personally I cannot imagine
myself deploying TSM databases on spinning disks anymore. If a TSM
installation performs well on 15K disks, it is either really small or
the disk array used for the DB contains so many spindles that I don't
see how it can be any cheaper than SSD, or have any other benefit? Can
you even say that 15K SAS drives are "standard" in this day and age?