ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Re: Privilege escalation bug

2015-02-25 19:05:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Re: Privilege escalation bug
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 18:03:20 -0600
There have been 3-4 security vulnerabilities recently for either Linux or all
Unix and Linux clients, all related to the setuid "dsmtca" utility, with some
overlap in versions (6.3-ish, IIRC) for some of the issues.

For older/unsupported (or can't-yet-be-updated) clients, the workaround has
been to restrict permissions on "dsmtca" (either remove the setuid bit
entirely, or limit access to it to trusted users via group permissions or, I
suppose, ACLs).  The impact of the workaround is that non-root users without
explicit (e.g. group-based) permissions for "dsmtca" won't be able to use the
TSM client.

We used this workaround for our 6.2 clients until the 6.2.5.4 release, which
wasn't initially available.  (The advisories previously said to contact
support for the fix, which I did; they published 6.2.5.4 a couple weeks
later.  I suspect the devs were hoping they could get away with not building
a 6.2 release with the fixes, since 6.2 drops from support in April... :-) )

=Dave

--
Hello World.                                David Bronder - Systems Architect
Segmentation Fault                                      ITS-EI, Univ. of Iowa