ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM AC and OC and 7.1.1 Was: RE: [ADSM-L] TSM rant

2015-02-10 14:19:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM AC and OC and 7.1.1 Was: RE: [ADSM-L] TSM rant
From: Robert Jose <rjose AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:16:32 -0800
Hi Hans Chr.
Thanks for the feedback on your experience with Operations Center. I
understand your frustration and would be frustrated in your shoes also. I
also wanted to explain why we decided to couple TSM Server with Operations
Center and why we think in the long run it is the correct choice. The main
reason is performance. While you are correct that having a defect that
resides on the TSM Server side will take time to fix, once it is defect
free, the performance will be much greater than any other 3rd party
application.  There are a lot of instances where selecting on a wrong
column can be fixed in the Operations Center. In these cases, we can get a
fix out very quickly (especially if you are willing to help us test it
also :) ).

Was an APAR created for this issue? I would love to see the issue.

Thanks again and I do hope you will provide more feedback in the future.

Rob Jose
TSM OC UI Developer / L3 Support

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/31/2015
07:30:16 AM:

> From: Hans Christian Riksheim <bullhcr AT GMAIL DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Date: 01/31/2015 07:32 AM
> Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM AC and OC and 7.1.1 Was: RE: [ADSM-L] TSM rant
>
> We have tried OC twice and are not happy and that is due to its design.
>
> Other 3d party monitoring/administration tools we use are completely
> separate from the TSM server environment and only talks to TSM through an
> API(dsmcad/SQL). This means that any bug fix or feature enhancement in
the
> administration tools can be deployed without touching the TSM
environment.
> When we have reported bugs in the tools we have obtained fixes quickly,
one
> time a patch was ready the day after we reported the bug.
>
> OC on the other hand is tightly integrated with the TSM server code
itself.
> That means two things. First we have to take down and upgrade our TSM
> servers to the bleeding edge only to fix things with OC. That is an
> administrative burden and also a huge risk. Second problem is the time
from
> a bug is detected to a patch is available. The bug with caching diskpool
> was discovered in 6.4.1 but a fix wasn't ready before the 6.3.5 server
> code. That is one year for something which should take a developer 5
> minutes to fix(select on wrong column).
>
> With 10 years of ISC/Admin Center and now OC we will not waste any more
> time on IBMs administrative tools. And with the recent progress of TSM
> itself we have to think long and hard on what to do before our current
> license period is up.
>
> Regards
>
> Hans Chr.
>

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 4:07 AM, Prather, Wanda <Wanda.Prather AT icfi DOT
> com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jeanne,
> >
> > We are in a transition as the OC is getting more function with each
> > release, but doesn't yet have everything the AC had.
> >
> > The OC is the new/current admin GUI.  The 7.1.1 version has client
> > scheduling in it now, so it can do more of the admin tasks you need.
> > In the 7.1.1 version you can view management classes and maintenance
plan,
> > but still can't change them.  That will come in a later release of the
OC.

> > The old AC has been "stabilized" at 6.3 and will not be developed
further,
> > but can still be used.
> > If you put on the latest AC patch level from the FTP site (6.3.5), you
can
> > talk to your 7.1 server with it (minus any new function since 6.3, of
> > course).
> >

> > ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/
> maintenance/admincenter/v6r3/6.3.5.000/
> >
> > So you probably want to put the patch on your AC so you can keep using
it
> > for mgmt. classes and basic functions with your 7.1.1 server, while you
> > also install the 7.1.1 OC and start getting used to it for basic
> > administration, and taking advantage of the new visualization and
> > monitoring it provides that the AC never did.
> >
> > Wanda Prather
> > TSM Consultant
> > ICF International Enterprise and Cybersecurity Systems Division

Of
> > Jeanne Bruno
> > Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2015 4:31 PM
> > To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> > Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM rant
> >
> > For Windows version 7.1.1.00 is it now called TSM "Operations Center"??
> > 7.1.1.000-TIV-TSMOC-Windows.exe
> >
> > I want to upgrade from v 6.3.3 to v7.1 for Admin Server and the OC was
all
> > I found.......is this what you've found also??

Server