ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] basic DR questions

2015-01-29 18:04:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] basic DR questions
From: Andrew Ferris <AFerris AT MRL.UBC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 15:00:54 -0800
        Rule breakdown below
         pts rule name              description
        ---- ----------------------
        0.50 BSF_RULE7568M          Custom Rule 7568M

--=__PartFBCE68B6.0__=

--=__PartFBCE68B6.1__=

I'm back in the land of living, functional TSM servers so thanks again for =
the help. Now I have to fight the battle to get us a more modern version =
of TSM.=20
=20
thanks,
Andrew

>>> Andrew Ferris 1/27/2015 3:25 PM >>>
Thanks for the reply Rick.=20
=20
Pointing the new TSM server at the old db and log files didn't work so =
Skylar was correct. Got messages saying that they belonged to another TSM =
server. So I will pull back my one DB tape and double check that the =
server can talk to our 3584/TS3500 and IBM drives.
=20
Andrew

>>> Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT BILOHOLDINGS DOT COM> 1/27/2015 11:32 AM >>>
Andrew,
Been there, done that.=20
Here's how I handled it:

-Get the server operational. Like others have said it is advantageous to =
have several files from the TSM instance directory (volhist, devconfig, =
and optionally dsmserv.opt). On 5.x it is possible to recover without =
them, but the situation gets a bit more complicated.=20
- Assure the system has access to the tape library, (real or virtual), and =
update the devconfig file to reflect any changes needed.
- Install the TSM server software and perform a minimal configuration. =
This can be done via the management console wizards.
- Place/replace the volhist, devconfig, and dsmserv files in the instance =
directory.
- Use the "dsmserv restore db" command to restore the latest data base =
copy. (If the library is physical tape you may have to manually load the =
tapes as requested.)
- Bring the TSM Server online and inspect for proper operation.
-Unless you determine it is needed I would forego the volume auditing, the =
time it takes per volume to complete is extensive. Be critically selective =
here.

If you perform a point-in-time database restore (versus a roll forward) I =
strongly recommend that once the server is up you review the original =
volhist file and resolve any potential issues, such as volumes created/dele=
ted in between the time of the database backup used for the restore and =
the time the server crashed.=20

Rick Adamson
Jacksonville,Fl.
  =20