ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM rant

2015-01-29 16:41:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM rant
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:39:07 -0800
TSM between v6.1 and the end of v6.2 was really rough, mostly related to
DB2. By v6.3 it got a lot more stable. I'm glad we upgraded from v5 early,
though, since we really benefit from DB2's improved indexing and table
compression - between two TSM instances we have close to 2 billion file
versions tracked by TSM. That would have overwhelmed any v5 server, but we
get by with relatively modestly-sized hardware.

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 09:29:53PM +0000, David Ehresman wrote:
> I've been admin TSM since the V3 days if memory serves, and sometimes it
> doesn't so much anymore.  I've had a lot less problems with TSM since the
> move to DB2. We are now at 7.1.1.  I do not know DB2 and have not had a need
> to learn it.  We back up about 400 servers, 350 VMs, 100 databases, and an
> Exchange systems which is just big.  FWIW, we do not do software (TSM) dedup.

-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354