ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Oracle RMAN and TDP with source-side deduplication

2015-01-21 17:36:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Oracle RMAN and TDP with source-side deduplication
From: "Sergio O. Fuentes" <sfuentes AT UMD DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 22:33:51 +0000
Thanks for the feedback.  If you've successfully done source-side dedup
with an SSD-backed TSM DB with Oracle TDP, can you provide any indication
of the transfer rates that you can see?  Like, would you be able to
successfully backup a 100GB DB in say less than an hour.  That would be
about 27 MB/sec?  I'm currently seeing rates of 3MB/sec.  Pretty pitiful.

Our DB is on an auto-tiering VMAX (FAST VP) backed by about 1TB of Flash.
FAST VP transfers the hotspots to Flash normally dictated by some
secret-sauce formula of read-rates and cache misses or something to that
effect.  I have very little I/O wait coming from the TSM server DB's
during the TDP backup.  I'll have to check on the client to see if there's
a bottleneck there.

Thanks again!
Sergio