ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Oracle RMAN and TDP with source-side deduplication

2015-01-21 04:17:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Oracle RMAN and TDP with source-side deduplication
From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 10:16:01 +0100
What type of storage are you using for the TSM database?
I've seen client-side dedup running fast for databases with SSD's for TSM
database and activelog but not so much with traditional harddrives, even if
it was bunch of 15K disks, it just doesn't deliver like 4 SSD's.

>From what I have seen you pretty much require SSD's for the TSM database if
you want any serieus performance on client-side deduped structured data
backups that want to stream a lot of data. Also for client-side dedup of
VM's when you are backing up a lot of them at the same time.

File-level incrementals have a different impact because there is filesystem
scanning going on to somewhat relieve the TSM DB disk iop/s wise, start a
few databases with client-side dedup and see the wait i/o increase
significantly if you don't use SSD's.

This is just my experience from a few customer sites.