ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Mac OS X 'Yosemite' and 7.1.1.1 client: dsmcad won't start

2015-01-20 14:55:56
Subject: [ADSM-L] Mac OS X 'Yosemite' and 7.1.1.1 client: dsmcad won't start
From: "Mitchell, Ruth Slovik" <rmitch AT ILLINOIS DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 19:52:07 +0000
Hello,

We've done a  couple of test installations of the 7.1.1.1 TSM client on Mac OS
X 10.10 (Yosemite) and have not been able to start the dsmcad. I can see the
daemon does load, but it never actually starts. No errors are written to
dsmerror.log . 'StartCad.sh' incorrectly reports it as having successfully
started, as does starting the CAD from TSM Tools for Administrators, even
though no PID is assigned. They both report the PID as '-',  apparently due to
this simple check found in both StartCad.sh and StopCad.sh:

/bin/launchctl list | grep com.ibm.tivoli.dsmcad |  awk '{print $1}'

which returns whatever is in col 1, even if it's not actually numeric.

If I manually check the entire list of loaded jobs, this is more clear, where
jobs that are running have a PID assigned in column 1 (and can be viewed from
'ps  -ef'); those which are not running, have no PID. Here we see the job's
label, com.ibm.tivoli.dsmcad, as being loaded, but not running:

sudo /bin/launchctl list | grep -i tivoli

-              0              com.ibm.tivoli.dsmcad
Client version 7.1.1.0 on Yosemite installs and starts the dsmcad without
problems, so that's where we're staying for now. When I run the previous
command under 7.1.1.0, I see this:

20149    0              com.ibm.tivoli.dsmcad

which corresponds with the output of 'ps', showing the running CAD:

ps -ef | grep -i dsm
                0 20149     1   0  7:39PM ??         0:00.11 /usr/bin/dsmcad
-testflags=MACNOEXECCAD,NODETACH

Has anyone tried the TSM 7.1.1.1 client/Yosemite combination with better
success? I haven't found any technotes, APARs, etc. indicating this isn't a
supported configuration, so I wonder if I've missed something along the way.

Many thanks,

Ruth Mitchell
U of I, Urbana, IL