ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] DB2 LOCKLIST parameter

2015-01-09 15:25:55
Subject: [ADSM-L] DB2 LOCKLIST parameter
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 20:23:58 +0000
Inventory expiration processes on one of our TSM servers have been failing
occasionally with no obvious explanation. We were able to get trace data for
the most recent failure. IBM reviewed the trace data and advised us to increase
the DB2 LOCKLIST parameter. They referred us to a technote at
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21430874 for information on
calculating the new value for the parameter.

The instructions in the document are puzzling, to put it politely. The document
notes that deduplication greatly increases the need for row locks, but
recommends the same LOCKLIST setting whether deduplication is being used or
not. The recommended value is based on gigabytes of data moved rather than
number of files moved. This sounds reasonable for environments with
deduplication but is inexplicable in environments without deduplication. The
document makes reference to "concurrent data movement". In one of the examples
given, all incoming client data in a four hour period and all data moved by
migration in the same period is counted as "concurrent data movement". The
other example treats data movement spread over eight hours as "concurrent". As
far as I can see, this makes sense only if every database transaction triggered
by client sessions and background processes remains uncommitted until all data
movement activity ends.

One of our clients is a 32 bit Windows file server with 18 million files on
rather slow disk drives. The backup for this client starts in the middle of our
intended backup window and almost always runs through the day and an hour or
two into the next backup window. The TSM server can run for months at a time
with at least one client session in progress at all times. The examples in the
technote seem to imply that all data movement occurring during those months
should be counted as "concurrent".

Is there any documentation available in which the criteria for selecting a
LOCKLIST setting are explained more clearly?

We are currently using TSM 6.2.5.0 server code running under zSeries Linux. We
are preparing to upgrade to TSM 7.1.1.100. We are not currently using
deduplication. We may use deduplication for backups of databases on client
systems after the upgrade. We don't have the CPU and memory resources to use
deduplication for all client files.

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University
The information contained in this transmission contains privileged and
confidential information. It is intended only for the use of the person named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

CAUTION: Intended recipients should NOT use email communication for emergent or
urgent health care matters.