ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Drive preference in a mixed-media library sharing environment

2014-12-10 19:25:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Drive preference in a mixed-media library sharing environment
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 18:23:10 -0600
It won't work. I tried and failed in a StorageTek SL500 library with
LTO4 and LTO5. Just like you are reporting, the LTO4 tapes would get
mounted in the LTO5 drives first, and then there was no free drive in
which to mount a LTO5 tape. I tried all kinds of tricks to make it work,
but it did not work.

Furthermore, despite claims of compatibility, I found that there was a
much higher media error rate when using LTO4 tapes in LTO5 drives,
compared to using the same LTO4 tapes in LTO4 drives. These were HP
drives.

The only way around it is to define two libraries in TSM, one consisting
of the LTO5 drives and tapes, and the other consisting of the LTO6
drives and tapes. Hopefully your LTO5 and LTO6 tapes can be identified
by unique sequences of volsers, e.g. L50001 versus L60001, which will
greatly simplify TSM CHECKIN commands, because then you can use ranges
instead of specifying lists of individual volsers. To check tapes into
that mixed-media library I use something like VOLRANGE=L50000,L59999 on
the CHECKIN and LABEL commands to make sure the right tapes get checked
into the right TSM Library. Fortunately the different generations of
tape cartridges are different colors.

You can read all about what I went through, and the good, helpful
recommendations from others on this list, by searching the ADSM-L
archives for "UN-mixing LTO-4 and LTO-5". Thanks again to Remco Post
and Wanda Prather for their help back then in 2012!

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====