ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Drive preference in a mixed-media library sharing environment

2014-12-09 23:30:53
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Drive preference in a mixed-media library sharing environment
From: Grant Street <grants AT AL.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 15:28:59 +1100
On 10/12/14 02:40, Skylar Thompson wrote:
Hi folks,

We have two TSM 6.3.4.300 servers connected to a STK SL3000 with 8x LTO5
drives, and 8x LTO6 drives. One of the TSM servers is the library manager,
and the other is a client. I'm seeing odd behavior when the client requests
mounts from the server. My understanding is that a mount request for a
volume will be placed preferentially in the least-capable drive for that
volume; that is, a LTO5 volume mounted for write will be placed in a LTO5
drive if it's available, and in a LTO6 drive if no LTO5 drives are
available.

What I'm seeing is that LTO5 volumes are ending up in LTO6 drives first,
even with no LTO5 drives in use at all. I've verified that all the LTO5
drives and paths are online for both servers.

I haven't played with MOUNTLIMIT yet, but I don't think it'll do any good
since I think that still depends on the mounts ending up in the
least-capable drives first.

Any thoughts?

-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354
might be a stab in the dark ..... try numbering the drives such that the
LTO5's are first in the drive list or vice versa.
That way when tsm "scans" for an available drive it will always try the
LTO5's first.

HTH

Grant