ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Includes and Excludes

2014-12-04 10:06:44
Subject: [ADSM-L] Includes and Excludes
From: "Ryder, Michael S" <michael_s.ryder AT ROCHE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 10:05:59 -0500
Everyone's favorite topic!

I recently implemented TSM 7.1.1.0, both on the server and client ends.
TDP for VE is also running.  Everything seems to be working well...

except for...

my excludes.  On just *some *of the VMs.

We backup *everything*, and I expected when we implemented 7.1.1, I could
take the same DSM.OPT file and use it without too much change in the new
environment.  RHEL6.5 for the TSM server, and Windows 2012 for the
datamover/client.

To manage open-file backups, we have the following lines in the OPT file:
SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS VSS
SNAPSHOTPROVIDERIMAGE VSS

Well, now, on about 10% of our Windows VMs, the datamover (using one single
DSM.opt for the entire job) attempts to backup C:\hiberfil.sys and
pagefil.sys and fails, thus reporting that the backup job failed (when it
didn't, really).

So I continue to see messages like this in the schedule log:

12/03/2014 17:12:16 ANS1228E Sending of object
'\\servername\c$\hiberfil.sys' failed.

... even though I've got a line like this in the dsm.opt:

EXCLUDE "\\*\C$\hiberfil.sys"
EXCLUDE "\\*\C$\pagefil.sys"

The VMs are a mix of Windows 2003 and 2008.  Snapshots complete
successfully.

Similar lines in the same OPT file have proven effective, I can't figure
out why I can't get this to work.  I did some Googling but cannot find any
references... is this a bug someone else has seen?

What's going on?  any ideas?  It's annoying to see a failure message when I
can't exclude "failed" files from being backed up.

Thanks in advance for any time you spend on this.

Best regards,

Mike Ryder, x7942
RMD IT Client Services