ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] VMWARE VMDK size limit

2014-11-13 12:29:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] VMWARE VMDK size limit
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 12:28:12 -0500
Hi Tuncel,

Here are a few options for you:

- Use in-guest backups in conjunction with the VMSKIPMAXVMDKS
- Use FCM for VMware exclusively for these large VMDKs
- Allocate 2 TB disks (or less)

As for helping us gauge interest in this...
Instead of creating a new RFE, there are a few of them out there
that you can go out and vote for to increase the priority.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=45460

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 11/13/2014
11:25:36 AM:

> From: Tuncel Mutlu (BT İşletim ve Teknik Destek Bölümü)
> <Tuncel.Mutlu AT AKBANK DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Date: 11/13/2014 11:30 AM
> Subject: Re: VMWARE VMDK size limit
>
> After comminicating with local and remote IBM teams, that's what I
learnt:
>  - TSMVE doesn't support VMDK disks larger than 2 TB (and therefore
> cannot backup them), although VMWARE VMDK file size limit is now 64
> TB (and we already have some larger than 2 TB VMDK files). It have
> to something with snapshots.
>  - There is no info or roadmap about when will this limitation be lifted
>  - But if you want IBM to do it (their advise), you can open RFE
> procedure to ask for a design change http://www.ibm.com/
> developerworks/rfe/?BRAND_ID=90
>
> Before doing #3 I want to know what do you think about this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tuncel

YES.