ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Strange tcp_address value

2014-11-05 11:47:39
Subject: [ADSM-L] Strange tcp_address value
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 16:45:16 +0000
If I execute the command:

select node_name,tcp_address from nodes

on one of our TSM servers, two nodes have the same, very strange, value for the
address: 192.168.30.4. The same address appears in the corresponding output
fields from 'query node' with 'format=detailed'.

This address does not belong to my employer. All of the network interfaces on
the TSM server have addresses in one the officially defined private address
ranges. This has been the case since the TSM server code was first installed.
Given that, I don't see how a system with the address 192.168.30.4 could ever
have connected to the TSM server.

I see session start messages for both nodes on a daily basis. There are no error
messages for these sessions except for an occasional expired password
message. Even when that happens, subsequent sessions run without errors,
indicating that a new password was negotiated successfully. The origin
addresses for the sessions look perfectly reasonable. They are in the same
private address range as the TSM server addresses, and in the right subnet
for the building the client systems are in. Every relevant statement I have
found in the TSM documentation indicates that the tcp_address field should
be updated to match the session origin address.

When the TSM central scheduler attempts to request a backup of one of the
nodes it attempts to contact an address in the same subnet as the session
origin addresses.

The TSM server is running TSM 6.2.5.0 server code under zSeries Linux. The
two clients are running Windows XP and using TSM 6.2.2.0 client code. The
two clients are administered by the same group of people.

Does anyone know where the strange address could have come from, or
how to get the TSM to track the node addresses correctly in the future?

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
The information contained in this transmission contains privileged and
confidential information. It is intended only for the use of the person named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

CAUTION: Intended recipients should NOT use email communication for emergent or
urgent health care matters.