ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Access to VE api

2014-10-30 09:31:40
Subject: [ADSM-L] Access to VE api
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 00:30:28 +1100
Hi again.  last one from me and then I'll shut up.

I've been toying for years with the idea of wrapping the TSM API so it
could be accessed from modern scripting languages.  One reason would
be to re-implement something like the old adsmpipe program. Others
would be to clean up leftovers of decommissioned nodes or trump Oracle
DBAs who unilaterally exceed their agreed retention periods.

Lately my thinking has been to do this in Java as then it would be
available to anything using the JVM, such as Javascript with Rhino,
Jruby, Jython, even Clojure if that suits. The Java FFI makes calling
the C api possible.

Unless you have been under a rock you will have heard about Docker.
This technology is sweeping all before it and I can see it becoming
ubiquitous very quickly.  One of the features of Docker is the Docker
volume which is like a private file system for it.

So I was considering how to back up a docker volume, and one way would
be to back it up as a single object from the host OS. That would be an
excellent use case for the TSM VE API... that is, break the docker
volume into 128MB chunks and run a subfile-style delta backup on each,
with full copies being taken once the amount of change or number of
deltas gets too large.

However, looking at the API Docs, I see no exposure of the VE API.

Anyone know of plans to make the VE API publicly available?

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
Dreamer of programming way beyond his ability
Canberra Australia