ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] maxscratch

2014-10-14 13:34:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] maxscratch
From: "Arbogast, Warren K" <warbogas AT IU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 17:33:47 +0000
We just went through this, having a high percentage of VTL volumes marked FULL
when they only contained a few MB, when power maintenance in the data center
went wrong.  We were able to define new volumes, fortunately, but 'move data'
jobs don't run that fast actually. If maxscratch had been set closer to current
usage rather than '99999' we would have been saved two weeks of grief.
Maxscratch can be quite a useful tool in certain circumstances. Perhaps in very
large environments, the benefit for time spent is not as high.

Keith