ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to setup dedicated tape drives for storage agent

2014-09-15 14:00:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to setup dedicated tape drives for storage agent
From: Nick Laflamme <nick AT LAFLAMME DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:57:37 -0500
When I worked in a TSM/DD shop with Data Domain VTLs, we did something a
little different: we defined for each TSM server both a "normal" VTL
instance and a "LAN-free" library for any storage agents. The TSM master
server needs access to the LAN-free library so it can mount tapes and
validate tape labels, but our copypools for the standard policies were set
to use storage pools in the "normal" libraries. Only clients assigned to
specific domains ended up with access to the LAN-free libraries --or were
relegated to the LAN-free ghetto, if you prefer. :-)

We could have used shared libraries among our TSM servers, but we had had
some bad experiences with a similar configuration using EMC Clariian VTLs.
Spinning off dedicated VTLs is trivially cheap, so why not?

Nick