ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] tsm for ve backup question

2014-08-27 18:12:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] tsm for ve backup question
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:10:07 +0000
It's not the schedule.
There are several things that can cause VE to do the whole enchilada, rather
than only the used space.

One I specifically remember is you have to be at Hardware level 7 on the VM;
another is a missing license file for VE.
And there are also some VM's guests where VMware can't give/get you the correct
CBT information to prevent doing that; I've seen that on some odd variants of
Linux guests, but couldn't tell you why.

You can also have older VM's that don't have the CBT flag turned on.  You can
go in the VM and turn it on, but I think the VM has to be down, and the first
full backup should have turned it on anyway.

If you've got a clean Win2k8 guest around, try a backup of one of those as a
test, see if you get the same results

If none of that rings a bell I'd open a PMR, they can probably identify the
problem pretty quickly.

(And can I ask why you haven't upgraded to VE 7.1?  Much cleaner
implementation, FWIW.)

Wanda