ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Sending TSM backups to the cloud

2014-08-18 16:04:17
Subject: [ADSM-L] Sending TSM backups to the cloud
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 16:01:12 -0400
My boss is doing some "pie in the sky" and wondered about using cloud
storage like Amazon for  extra, non-tape based offsite active-data copies.

Anybody doing or thinking of doing this?

My quick research shows the need for an appliance to interface between the
TSM storage and the cloud/Amazon.  Two I found were "Panzura Global Clouse
Storage System" and "Riverbed Whitewater".

I have never having dealt with activedata storage pools, so please correct
me if I am wrong.  From what I gather, I would setup a sequential pool and
either/or perform "copy activedata" from the primary pool and/or update the
primary storage pool to automagically replicate inbound traffic to the
activedata pool.  Also requires changing the policy domains to identify
what goes in the activedata pool?  Is this a one-to-one or many-to-one?

Also, since we are using storage based licensing, is the activedata figured
into the total occupancy or is it ignored since it really is just a copy of
what is in the primary storage pools and things like copypools aren't
counted?

Your thoughts?

--
*Zoltan Forray*