ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for VE clientschedules

2014-08-05 10:03:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for VE clientschedules
From: Marcel Anthonijsz <marcel AT ANTHONIJSZ DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 16:01:12 +0200
Ruud,

You could specify per ESX host, or better, as we do, per VMFOLDER. This
breaks the TSM4VE web GUI, as it cannot cope with the VMFOLDER option.
You then put your VMs to be backed up in folders i.e. PRODUCTION1,
PRODUCTION2, PRODUCTION3, PRODUCTION4 etc.

Next you setup a schedule with -domain.vmfull="VMFOLDER=Production1" for
the first data mover and so on..

Read following technote for more info:

> Hi all,
>
> We have a VMware vSphere environment with 246 virtual machines. We have 4
> datamovers to do backups with TDP for VE.
> In the client schedule we define the command:
>
>         -vmfulltype=vstor -vmbackuptype=fullvm -asnodename=<nodename that
> owns the backupdata> -domain.vmfull="VM=<list with virtual machines, comma
> separated>" -MODE=IFIncremental
>
> This command is limited to 512 characters. So, it isn't possible to
> schedule all virtual machines at one timestamp, because the hostnames of
> the virtual machines don't fit in 4 times 512 characters.
>
> We could make more schedules for the 4 datamovers, but there would be a
> risk that client schedules are missed, if a client schedule starts while
> another one on the same datamover is still running.
>
> Does anyone have an easy idea for scheduling 246 virtual machines with TDP
> for VE?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Ruud Meuleman

> This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
> anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Tata Steel Europe Limited
> nor any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
> misuse of the transmission by anyone.
>
> For address and company registration details of certain entities within
> the Tata Steel Europe group of companies, please visit
> http://www.tatasteeleurope.com/entities

Kind Regards, Groetje,

Marcel Anthonijsz
T: +31(0)299-776768