ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] HP OpenView

2014-07-21 19:57:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] HP OpenView
From: Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 00:55:44 +0100
> Is anyone using HP OpenView to monitor TSM?

Andy

Over the years we've developed some quite complex OpenView policies for TSM
client and server event management. We run both Operations Manager and TSM
Server on Windows and the original idea was to use SNMP to get alerts into
OMW. However we found the easiest way was to customise the event rules in
TSM (DEFINE EVENTRULES) so that every activity log message we were
interested in was propagated to the Windows Application Event Logs. The
OpenView agent on each TSM server has an event log policy which raises (or
ignores) messages according to the rules we define in the policy while
parsing the text of the message to get client names, setting severities,
etc. Each rule matches one or more activity log messages (mainly errors and
warnings, but also some info messages which I don't expect in normal
operation) and then defines the operator action in the message
instructions.

The above gives us near real time alerting based on server activity log
messages. For everything else - clients at risk, long running schedules,
database space, etc. - we use the [now unsupported] TSM Operational
Reporting from v5.5 installed as a stand-alone application on a separate
virtual server with an OpenView agent on. As well as following the
documented hacks to get OR to work with our 6.3 server instances, we've
added a bunch of custom SQL which along with the out-of-the-box reporting
creates daily text files, one per monitored server instance. These lend
themselves quite well to being parsed by an OpenView log file policy.

Until Operations Centre gives me something I can work with to achieve the
same thing, we've no immediate plans to change things and by and large it
works well.,

Regards
Neil Schofield
Infrastructure Architect, Hardware Engineering
Yorkshire Water

Spotted a leak?
If you spot a leak please report it immediately. Call us on 0800 57 3553 or go
to http://www.yorkshirewater.com/leaks

Get a free water saving pack
Don't forget to request your free water and energy saving pack, it could save
you money on your utility bills and help you conserve water.
http://www.yorkshirewater.com/savewater

The information in this e-mail, and any files transmitted with it, is
confidential and may also be legally privileged. The contents are intended
solely for the addressee only and are subject to the legal notice available at
http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm. This email does not constitute a binding
offer, acceptance, amendment, waiver or other agreement, or create any
obligation whatsoever, unless such intention is clearly stated in the body of
the email. If you are not the intended recipient, please return the message by
replying to it and then delete the message from your computer. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on its contents is prohibited
and may be unlawful.

Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House, Halifax Road, Bradford, BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682