ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backup fails with no error message

2014-07-09 11:44:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backup fails with no error message
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 15:41:51 +0000
The regularly scheduled backup ran successfully on Tuesday morning.
The scheduled backup this morning failed with exit status 12 and no
error message. The backup start and end times indicated that the
failure occurred while processing a different file system in the same
resource group.

I ran a backup of the file system with service tracing enabled. The
TSM client eventually crashed with a segmentation fault.  I found two
trace files, neither of which contained 'GlobalRC'. The core file from
the crash consumed nearly all of the remaining space in the root file
system. As far  as I can tell, a system administrator responding to an
automated alert removed the core file without consulting me.

I ran a backup of the entire resource group without tracing. This was
successful.

I am thinking of upgrading the client software, even though none of
the bug fixes listed has any obvious connection to the behavior I am
seeing.

Should I just keep trying the tracing every time a backup fails and
hope I eventually get lucky and obtain a useful trace?

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital