ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape corruption

2014-07-09 11:29:36
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape corruption
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 15:26:35 +0000
Hi Eric -
Was it a "real" write error like:
        ANR8302E I/O error on drive DRIVE1 (mt0.0.0.5) with -blah- blah -
ASC=FF, ASCQ= FF,  -glub -

Or an "unexpected" error like an ANR9999D?

TSM "believes" that VTL drive is a real tape drive.
And like you, I would expect a legitimate error to result in TSM killing the
process, but backing out the write transaction (which in the case of a
migration would leave the source block undamaged).  I've never seen TSM fail to
do that properly with "real" tape drives.

So this is just speculation on my part, but my suspicion would be that the DD
is not returning a true tape error write code back to the TSM server (possibly
due to a problem with the DD emulation, or with the fibre or the tape driver or
the HBA driver, etc ??)

If it were me I'd open a PMR with the exact error codes you see on those write
errors and get a response from support as to why.

Until you get a resolution you could also turn on CRC checking for the DD
storage pool, and run AUDITs against the new volumes every day to detect errors
that occur due to issues beyond TSM's "view" of the data.  It won't solve the
problem, but will at least tell you if you have bad volumes, hopefully before
the original data is gone and you can rerun the backup.

And please post your results back - inquiring minds are curious about this one!

Wanda