ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 3584 upgrade: 3592-E05 to 3592-E07

2014-06-19 14:49:09
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 3584 upgrade: 3592-E05 to 3592-E07
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 18:46:15 +0000
I'm not sure the problem is as bad as you think. Automatic tape libraries tend
to manage scratch
tapes first-in first-out in an effort to distribute tape wear evenly. My guess
is that your library
will use all of the JC volumes inserted at the start of the conversion before
using any of the JA
or JB volumes scratched after that. If you later clean out scratched JA and JB
volumes and add
JC scratch volumes, my guess is that the new batch of JC volumes will be used
before any JA
or JB volumes scratched after that.

For storage pool volumes you could eject JA and JB volumes in PENDING status to
eliminate
any worries about the volumes being reused. You could temporarily increase the
reuse delay
to give you a bigger window of opportunity for ejecting volumes and/or maintain
the normal
degree of readiness for restoring older versions of the TSM database.

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital