ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SV: [ADSM-L] out of TSM compliance period question

2014-06-02 05:28:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SV: [ADSM-L] out of TSM compliance period question
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 11:27:05 +0200
Op 2 jun. 2014, om 10:11 heeft Bent Christensen <BVC AT COWI DOT DK> het
volgende geschreven:

> I do not think there is such a thing as a true-up with IBM.
>
> In a PVU licensing environment, if you get hit by an IBM Audit (as we did
> last year) you are expected to have all TSM servers and clients properly
> licensed at all times except for:
>
> - test/developement TSM servers
> - servers/nodes being migrated (it is correct that you have a 3 months
> 'grace' period if you are updating/migrating nodes, servers or data centers,
> there is an IBM document (which I can't find right now) from last year
> explaining this)
> - decommisioned nodes/servers
>
> With new nodes you are actually expected to have the required PVUs in your
> PVU pool *before* you install the TSM client (or at least before you do the
> first backup).
>
> IBM are really doing what they can to 'persuade' their customers to join the
> Capacity model :-)

and even then... buy it before you use it. If only IBM was as friendly as MS,
where a true-up once a year is really a contract option.

(btw, IBM recently introduced a new entry license model for TSM, based on
PVU's.... I'm still wondering where these ideas of billing storage based on
processing power come from )

--

 Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post