ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] File retention

2014-03-25 11:50:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] File retention
From: George Huebschman <george.huebschman AT PNC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:44:27 -0400
Mr Taylor.
I used to get this question or something like it while we were
transitioning our TSM environment to an outside vendor who had no
experience with TSM.
We had been instructed to modify (shorten) retention policies (Management
Class/Copy Group).
We were also directed to delete/remove a number of clients; not just stop
backing up, but remove.
        I warned them...boldly....once the data is gone, it's GONE.
Later the question came, repeatedly, "But don't you have a copy on tape,
offsite somewhere?"
        "No...I DID tell you, here is an e-mail."

The copy pool data is a copy of the data in the primary pool.  The Primary
pool is not defined as the media where the data is first recorded.  It is
the first place from which the data would be restored.
The Copy Pool is a disaster recovery resource.  It covers you in the event
of damaged media (corrupted filesystem, dropped tape, failed disk) or
damaged data center (fire, flood, Ravens fans).  It is a copy of what
currently exists in your primary pool.
When something is deleted from the Primary pool, it deleted from the Copy
pool.

Disk can be your first tier
Tape can be your first tier.  (Sometimes large files will go straight to
tape, bypassing disk, though you can address that.)
Tape can be your second tier...but still be primary pool media.

Are you familiar with how to use Copy Group features?
        Active data is never automatically deleted.
        Inactive data is retained according to the number of versions you
decide to keep and the length of time you choose to keep each version.
                You can decide separately how long to keep the last
version of each piece of inactive  data.
Still if you have both Primary and Copy pools, you will have two (or more)
"copies" of each object you have backed up.

George Huebschman (George H.)
(301) 699-4013
(301) 875-1227 (Cell)