ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] File retention

2014-03-21 14:14:55
Subject: [ADSM-L] File retention
From: Tom Taylor <TTaylor AT JOS-A-BANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:11:33 -0400
Hello,

        TSM 6.3.4.3 on Windows 2008 R2

I'm wondering if someone can direct me to a document or the area of the
admin guide that has this info. I feel like I have read and re-read that
thing and am getting nowhere. I thought the answer was management classes
but I cannot find how to do it...

... and it is...

I have a primary storage pool called "BACKUPS" it is on-site disk.

I have a copy pool called "OFFSITETAPE" and as its name suggests it is a
tape library and we will send tapes offsite.

I want to use OFFSITETAPE to backup BACKUPS.

What I want to accomplish is I want to set the primary pool to keep10
versions of files for 30 days, and 10 versions of inactive files also for
30 days, and keep the last version for 30 days, but I want the copy pool
to keep teh last version of an inactive file FOREVER.

I want this because I want to conserve space in the primary disk pool, but
the tape copy pool has a LOT more room, so I want to keep files in there
longer. Also I am required to keep a permanent backups of ALL files
forever... i.e. I want to keep the last version forever, but I do not have
room in the primary disk pool to keep every file forever. This is why I
want to expire old files in the primary including the last version but
expire everything in teh tape copy pool also EXCEPT FOR the final inactive
version of a deleted file.

Can this be done? Have I just overlooked it in the guide?

Thanks!

Thomas Taylor
System Administrator
Jos. A. Bank Clothiers