ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Drive compatibility

2014-03-12 13:39:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Drive compatibility
From: Neil Strand <NStrand AT CASSEVERN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 13:37:44 -0400
George,
   Sounds like you found yourself in a bowl of spaghetti with just a spoon
to eat your way out.
   Some general recommendations:
1. Check all of your tapes for different generations of media.  There may
be a mix of JA, JB and JC media.
2. Assuming that you have both onsite and offsite tape pools, you may want
to create two virtual libraries using ALMS and designate one for onsite
use and the other for offsite os some other easy to manage scheme to
differentiate their use.
3. Thinking ahead to manage & growth, you will need to divide the media
and assign a volser range to assign to each library.  If you do have
different generation of media(JA,JB,JC), then it is relatively simple to
assign one generation to each virtual library but if all media is say, JB
media, then you will need to specify volser ranges for each library and
when you get a new set of media in the current sequence, you will need to
assign new volser ranges for each virtual library - not difficult just
another thing to manage.

Cheers,
Neil Strand