ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] ADMS-L - DB2 backup

2014-03-10 15:42:21
Subject: [ADSM-L] ADMS-L - DB2 backup
From: "Trimark, Jerry R" <JRTrimar AT SCJ DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 19:39:43 +0000
Currently we are backing up daily, DB2 using TSM 6 DB2 API client LAN-Free to
our TM 6 server/Virtual tape library.

Once a week I need to do a DB2 backup with a different retention. I am looking
for options to this solution.

Here are some I have come up with, I am looking for other options.

*         Copy dsm.sys file to dsm.sys.weekly. In the weekly file create a new
node_name with the new retention. Weekly cp dsm.sys.weekly to dsm.sys. This way
the database doesn't need to be stopped to read in a new dsm.opt file. Can you
have 1 stg agent servicing 2 different TSM nodes on the same physical server?
Or would you need to create 2 different stg agents?

*         Weekly modify existing TSM stgpool (autocopy=client,
copystgpool=weeklystgpool) perform the backup.  The copystgpool could be a VTL
which could later be copied to physical tape or physical tape - writing
directly would be an issue since we have fewer physical drives then virtual.
Will the backupstgpool use multiple streams to copy data from the primary pool
to the copystgpool if the DB2 backup is viewed by q occ in TSM as 1 filesystem
(multiple streams are used to backup this environment to TSM)?

*         Clone on storage array - requires offsite array for CLONE.

Thanks