ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Database Backup best practice

2014-02-18 16:49:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Database Backup best practice
From: Shawn DREW <shawn.drew AT US.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 21:46:14 +0000
You should set the reusedelay and the number of daily database backups to the
same number and you set both based on your preference on how far back would you
want to go for any particular reason. (i.e. how many days might pass before you
notice there is a problem)

I've done restores for a number of reasons, not all were only for recovery
after some disk/filesystem problem.  If you are large enough to have multiple
TSM admins, (perhaps a junior admin on the team) one might make a mistake and
might take a few days for the other admins to notice.

I keep a week's worth of backups around and 7 days on the reusedelay for the
offsite pool only.  In case someone makes a "del fi" mistake, we have a week to
recover.  Or we can restore to another instance and export the needed data.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.