ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Dedup Question

2014-02-18 04:47:07
Subject: [ADSM-L] Dedup Question
From: Alexander Heindl <alexander.heindl AT GENERALI DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 10:45:10 +0100
Hi,

I have questions regarding Client- and Serverside Deduplication.

If I have 2 primary pools (file dedup of course), where the smaller and
faster is the target for clients and the bigger and slower is the next
pool for it, how does deduplication behave?:
Clients that don't use client-side dedup: Sends all data, of course. That
data is deduplicated on Serverside, and migrated later to the bigger,
slower pool. Is the data rehydrated during migration, or will it just move
the missing chunks?
Clients that use client-side dedup: Are the necessary chunks to send are
measured against all or just the target pool? Because in the target pool
(smaller, faster) is just a small part of the client's data..
If I moreover copy all data to a dedup pool: would then the data be
rehydrated?

Regards,
Alex