ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] file system backups of a Dell NDMP Equallogic device

2014-02-13 16:06:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] file system backups of a Dell NDMP Equallogic device
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 21:03:15 +0000
You don't have to use tape.
You can do NDMP backups via TCP/IP to your regular TSM storage pool hierarchy.
But AFAIK you still have to do it at the volume/share level that the NAS device
understands, I don't think you can do it at the root.

Using "virtualmountpoint" is for backing up incrementally at the *file* level
via NFS or CIFS mounts, not NDMP, so I'm not sure which way you are headed.

Question is, what are you doing this for?
NDMP is a stupid, simplistic protocol.  You won't like what you have to do to
achieve an individual file restore.  If you are trying to get DR capability to
rebuild your NDMP shares in case of an emergency, it makes sense.  If you are
just trying to provide backup coverage to restore people's files like you would
from a file server, it may not.

If you want to do NDMP via TCP/IP instead of direct to tape, reply with your
TSM server platform and server level, and I'll send you back the page reference
in the manual you need...