ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] bfs files

2014-02-13 13:44:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] bfs files
From: Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT BILOHOLDINGS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:42:25 +0000
Tom,
"BFS" volumes are created by a storage pool that utilizes the "file"device type.

If you take a look at your defined device classes (query devcl f=d) note the
device class(es) that list a Device Type of FILE and/or DISK.

Next query your storage (query stg) which will list all of the defined storage
pools and device class they use.

The storage pools using a device class with the type "FILE" are generating the
BFS files.
The ones listed with a device class of "DISK" are using the static volumes
(without the BFS extension).

I strongly urge that you visit the IBM Information Center, or similar doco, for
your version of TSM Server to get better understanding of TSM storage .

It is safe to say that the information in these volumes is backup/archive data
and I would not suggest removing them.

-Rick Adamson
904.783.5264